Saturday, March 26, 2011

The "hidden" single mom...

Walking the mall lately is becoming tedious...especially when my kid isn't with me.  I see these cute little families, moms and dads with their babies in strollers....and I look at their kid and I smile.  Because I love kids.  I love babies.  I see a cute baby and I smile...but sometimes I get a glare from the mom.  Especially if I am dressed up and show no signs of being a mom myself. 

So I feel the urge to scream "I am a mom too..."  It's like without the kid with me, the frazzled hair, the "suburban mom" outfit of jeans and sneakers and a zip up sweatshirt, I look like some creepy woman smiling at your kid.   The worst is when I am dressed nice - heels, tight jeans, etc and the dad checks me out and the mom is in the "suburban mom" outfit...and I can tell that she just wants to smack me. 

I find myself trying to find a way to sneak in a comment, like "aw, he is so cute...my son was never that quiet when he was that age...." just to ease the tension.  Especally if we are in an elevator or other confined space.  Eh...maybe it's all in my head.  But when my kid isn't with me, I feel like a fake mom.  I feel like I need to TELL people that I have a kid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment