Monday, April 11, 2011

How do you know you shop too much???

Answer: when you walk through the mall and imaginary price tag bubbles pop up on people's clothes...because you can look at at least 90% of stuff women are wearing and know (a) where they got it, (b) what season it came from, (c) how much it cost - originally AND on sale and (d) what mall it was from. 

See, I shop alot.  I don't really buy much...seeing as single mom's who work for the govenment and owe more in student loans then I will ever make in a 5 year period rarely BUY many things.  But I look.  And I try things on.  And I IMAGINE what I would buy if I miraculously came upon a money tree (the one my parents swore didn't grow in our backyard, but I secretly thought did until I was, oh, 19)...

So the other night I was walking around the mall, per the usual "kid free night activity"...and I saw lots of people.  Teen girls, moms, old ladies...and I started to notice a pattern.  I could tell where the clothes was from.  And this is not "labeled" clothes, ala Seven jeans or polo shirts.  No, this was sweaters from Kohls, a tee shirt with ruching from Gap (spring 2010) and Nine West nude heels (holiday 2010)...I could IDENTIFY random stranger's clothes.  And I knew (roughly) what they paid...either full price or sale.   Because a good shopanista always knows the sale price of things they covet.

And I started to feel guilty.  Like I was peering into these women's closets and wallets and could identify how much money they had.  Were they frugal buyers who only splurged on a few nice things or shopaholics who waited and stalked clothes and bought tons of sale at the end of the season...

No comments:

Post a Comment